Power comes not from power everywhere, but from knowing where to put it on. -Norman Mclean
This episode is with the Tucker Max. Tucker is a 3 time NYT best selling author and is only the third author to ever have three books on the list at the same time. He was on the list for over 6 years and has sold over 3 million copies. His latest venture, Book in a Box, allows for anyone to spend 12 hours with his team and from there they take care of the book creation process.
You’ll learn about:
- Tucker addresses the reason behind why he simply tells it like it is
- The process of “retiring” from his previous lifestyle
- The difficult balance between staying true to yourself and still trying to resonate with your audience
- How his writing career began
- Asking yourself the question: What are 2-3 things you do really well and is there a place where they overlap? If so, start a business around that.
- The story of how Book in a Box got started: A story of ego turning into a real business
- Why it makes sense to hire a company to write a book for you
- Book in a Box exists to turn tacit knowledge into a book that would otherwise never get shared with a large audience
- The simplicity of the Book in a Box process
- The importance of asking yourself “why does my audience care?”
- How his child forced him to take a “serious and hard look” at his life
- The importance of prioritizing time with the family and wife and understanding that these are different priorities
- Having a support person to allow for the intentional time
- Scheduling family and creative time and keeping it sacred
- Ruthlessly cutting things from your life i.e. things you want to accomplish and only saving 3-4 to focus on. Ever.
Links, Resources and People Mentioned
- Tucker Max on Twitter
- Book in a Box: http://bookinabox.com/
- Link to Tucker’s books on Amazon: http://amzn.to/1AsN2Ap
- Their process for those that would like to do it themselves: http://bookinabox.com/book
Thanks for listening!
Thanks for joining me for this episode! I really hope you enjoyed it and if you have any feedback, please leave them in the comments here or on twitter @peterawad and @slowhustle. If you know someone that would benefit from listening, please share it with them.
As always, the best way for you to support the show is by subscribing, rating and leaving an honest review on iTunes. It would me the world to me!
If you have anyone you’d like for us to have on the show, please shoot me their info and why you think they would resonate with our audience.
A BIG thanks to Tucker for taking the time!