People say that what we’re all seeking is a meaning for life. I don’t think that’s what we’re really seeking. I think that what we’re seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life experiences on the purely physical plane will have resonances with our own innermost being and reality, so that we actually feel the rapture of being alive. -Joseph Campbell
This episode is a deep dive with the Co-Founder of Seed Here Studio, Andy Stoll. A young man with lots of wisdom to share. We decided to split this in studio episode in to two parts to allow for listeners to stop, gather their thoughts and continue. Listen closely as you are in for quite a ride. A ride that’s reminiscent of traveling 40 countries in 4 years.
You’ll learn about:
- His upbringing, self esteem camp and accidentally getting elected to student council
- Not asking permission to follow your ideas and dreams
- The beginning of a new era and the end of the industrial age
- The Democratization of Entrepreneurship
- Why he took his trip around the world and how he prepped for it
- The amazing experiences he had and how it was extended from 1 year to 4: lived in a buddhist temple in Korea, working in a dress factory Bangkok, living in a mud hut village in Zambia farming maize, lived in a 500,000 acre cattle ranch in Australia, worked on a few Bollywood movies, joined a team doing cataract surgeries in Fiji, etc
- Travel is the largest collective dream in the United States and Andy’s top five reasons why the U.S. is the least traveled country.
- Meaning of Life = Authentic Emotional Experiences
- Two magazine articles that changed everything
- The story of the beginnings of Seed Here Studio
- A class on making ideas happen with David Gould and Tony Hsieh
- Creativity is the synthesis of diverse elements
- The importance of having a business community/network to lean on
- 4 Key Elements when building a company:
- Network (this is the one people miss)
- The idea of Micro Vacations
- Company policy of not sending emails during non-business hours
- Being present “off the grid”
Links and Resources Mentioned
- Andy Stoll on Twitter
- Andy’s TEDx talks
- Seed Here Studio: http://www.seedhere.org/
- No Boundaries: http://noboundaries.org/
- Global Soul by Pico Iyer: http://amzn.to/1yjiJv3 (affiliate link)
- EntreFest: entrefest.com
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie: http://amzn.to/1HcCt4Y (affiliate link)
- Sleep Time app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sleep-time-sleep-cycle-smart/id555564825?mt=8
- Distraction Free iPhone Blog Post
- The Science of Experience over stuff: http://www.fastcoexist.com/3043858/world-changing-ideas/the-science-of-why-you-should-spend-your-money-on-experiences-not-thing
Thanks for listening!
Thanks for joining me for this episode! I really hope you enjoyed it and if you have any feedback, please leave them in the comments here or on twitter @peterawad and @slowhustle. If you know someone that would benefit from listening, please share it with them.
As always, the best way for you to support the show is by subscribing, rating and leaving an honest review on iTunes. It would me the world to me!
If you have anyone you’d like for us to have on the show, please shoot me their info and why you think they would resonate with our audience.
A BIG thanks to Andy for taking the time!