“If you’re not making mistakes, you’re probably not really learning and not really growing.” – Jason Felts
Today’s society is filled with people trying to be like someone else. We grow up looking to athletes and celebrities for fashion trends and societal norms.
The problem is when one of these models say something is okay, thousands follow, even when it’s not.
That’s why companies like Virgin are a breath of fresh air.
They strive to be different.
Behind every product and service they offer, there is an underlying challenge they take on:
To snap society of the zombie-like state we’re in.
And when people think different, society moves forward.
Do us a favor (because you’re the nice person your grandma says you are):
As if this wasn’t enough! Here is the full video version of the episode (professionally shot from 3 camera angles) where there is a cameo appearance by an unexpected guest! A fun way to consume this interview. Check. It. Out.
This episode is full of great stuff including:
- The creative way Virgin Airlines got more people to watch the flight safety video
- A startling encounter while working for one of the biggest names in Hollywood (that convinced Jason he needed to be his own boss)
- An unforgettable experience in Necker Island (that gave birth to Virgin Produced)
- The contrarian philosophy at Virgin Produced (and the three filters used to make decisions)
- The biggest challenge with being contrarian
- Steps to improve the work/life balance
- The email that was a turning point in how Jason makes decisions
- How to create a work environment that makes employees eager to get up when the alarm goes off
- An unusual email policy that promotes openness
- How the Virgin brand creates a family atmosphere (that includes a memorable way to celebrate birthdays)
- An uncommon favor asked of the janitor at Virgin Produced headquarters (that’s outside of his job description)
And don’t forget to check these out:
- Jason on Twitter
- Virgin Produced on Twitter
- Sir Richard Branson
- Read: In Love With Death (affiliate link)
- Watch: Limitless
Slow Hustle is proudly supported by my friends at Shuttleworth Law and Iowa Startup Accelerator.
Get ready for the most intense three months of your life: You’ll get 365 days worth of work done in 90 days to get your startup ready to launch. Not to mention a large and diverse network of mentors built from the best-known entrepreneurs and experts in their fields in the Midwest. Contacts you’d quite likely not make otherwise. Apply for the 2016 Cohort here.
Do you have legal questions you know you need to ask but have no idea who you should turn to? Or maybe you need a second set of eyes to make sure there isn’t something you’ve missed in that contract you just drafted? The folks at Shuttleworth Law are there for you! I’ve been using them for years on several different business and not only do they do what I ask but they frequently make thoughtful suggestions regarding aspects of coverage I never would have thought of. Not to mention, they’re a cool group of people that I’d even hang out with! Check them out at: http://www.shuttleworthlaw.com/
Thanks for listening!
Thanks for joining me for this episode! I really hope you enjoyed it and if you have any feedback, please leave them in the comments here, or on twitter @peterawad and @slowhustle. If you know someone that would benefit from listening, please share it with them.
If you have anyone you’d like for us to have on the show, please shoot me their info and why you think they would resonate with our audience.
A BIG thanks to Jason for taking the time to chat!