You only learn when something goes against your expectations… If you want to keep learning and growing, keep yourself surprised as much as possible. -Derek Sivers
Derek founded CD baby, an online CD store in 1997, sold it for $22M and gave away all of it. He’s an author who’s most recent book is titled Anything You Want. He is also a frequent speaker at TED with over 5 million views. He writes insightful and deep blog posts on sivers.org. If you are not a subscriber, do it. You are missing out.
Do us a favor (because you’re the nice person your grandma says you are):
This episode is full of great stuff including:
- how peter first stumbled upon Derek: https://sivers.org/uncommon
- knowing by the age of 14 he would never have a paycheck or job security
- cd baby’s beginnings from helping friends out to $100 million in sales and 85 employees
- what it means to him to be an entrepreneur and his thoughts on finding investors
- the shrink-wrapped squid and why you should find your own way to delight customers and be a real person
- encourage people to contact you and put your best people on customer facing jobs
- publishing a written summary of books he has read here: https://sivers.org/book
- his mechanism for internalizing a book by keeping yourself in learn mode
- our memories don’t stick in our minds unless they have life events to hook on to
- his most popular blog posts (the top one being about giving away $22M)
- why the heck he gave away his company to charity and the smart way he set it up
- burn out vs. really being done
- not having to be a local
- how to get started if you have any desire to see other places
- being fully present with family and not forcing children into our schedule
- expectations being the root of all unhappiness
- he gives out his email address and asks folks to reach out to him
And don’t forget to check these out:
Please support the show and our sponsor through a trial with Audible!
Thanks for listening!
Thanks for joining me for this episode! I really hope you enjoyed it and if you have any feedback, please leave them in the comments here, or on twitter @peterawad and @slowhustle. If you know someone that would benefit from listening, please share it with them.
If you have anyone you’d like for us to have on the show, please shoot me their info and why you think they would resonate with our audience.
A BIG thanks to Espree for taking the time to chat!